Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

No Retreat Baby, No Surrender

I have noted that in the last couple of games I have played that there came a moment where the odds seemed daunting, and (once for me, and once for my opponent) thoughts of throwing in the towel started to emerge. At the end of the day, the person with their back to the wall (again once for me, once for my opponent) pulled out a win.

The first time I actually saw the shot and walked him through the kill (he had wanted to give up at the end of my turn). I know Warmachine can be a discouraging game, and when in one turn you lose half your jacks and the other half are knocked down or autonomous, one can have a hard time seeing the outs. Long story short(ish) he ended up adding a notch to Caine's gun belt, and Durgen went off with some new battle damage in his armor.

Last time game I played I found myself in a similar situation. The only reason I even made it into the next turn was a missed scatter roll keeping Thor alive with 1 point of damage (but on fire). Start of the turn Thor put himself out, slammed with the avalacher, knocked everyone down, the lone remaining forgeguard got a charge off, and Durgen finished him off with a boosted pow 14. If I hadn't rolled that out and stuck with it, I would have lost.

The Art of War talks about the idea of dead mans land (or some such title) the idea that if your men have nowhere to retreat, they will fight to the last. In a similar vein when you are down to a hail mary (something that works better in some games than others), play it out. At worst you made a gallant last stand, at best you have one of those "there I was surrounded by..." stories that make those of us of a mathematical persuasion cringe as you beat the odds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment